Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Journey Continues


We have continued our new spelling program this week.  The kids are still enjoying the different work and the change in not having to study words at home every night in preparation for our tests on Wednesday.  I introduced speed sorts this week.  The students are enjoying the challenge of racing other students to complete their sorts.  I feel like even though I am only spending a few minutes with each student at most, but I feel like I am teaching him or her so much more spelling than I did previously.  Before, all students had a differentiated sort that they studied on their own independently.  Their lists were taken from pre tests and then directly from their writing. This did not allow me to work on patterns with them at all in any capacity.  They are working hard and recognizing the patterns in spelling that they are working on.
            I worked with two students the following day on a blind sort.  This has students paired up with another student.  The students do not have to have the same sort.  The students switch sorts.  Student 1 reads the words to Student 2 from Student 2’s sort.  Student 2 writes the words under the headings in which they belong.  The students then switch words and repeat for the other student.  I worked mainly with two students during this time.  It was fantastic to see how much the students have already learned after completing their sort only about five times in different ways.  I am excited to see what they will continue doing as they get new sorts on Monday. 
            I also had the opportunity to help another teacher get the Words Their Way program up and going in her classroom.  She decided she would like to give the program a try in her class as well.  She was very excited at the different ways students could practice and how she could also start to help students with understanding the patterns.  She was pleasantly surprised that many of her first grade students were in fact on track with where they needed to be for first grade!  I am excited to see the outcomes that she sees in her classroom.  I am also wanting to see if this helps some of her struggling readers any as they learn new and more patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment