Sunday, March 10, 2013

Getting it Going


Hi there!
                So the Words Their Way madness continues!  My kids really like the program so far.  It has been weird for them not to have a definite list every week like they are used to having.  Some of them have asked me if they have a new list of words this week.  They are all still working on their first sort, but some will get their new sorts starting this week after taking their tests.  We are a little behind schedule on new sorts and their tests at the end of these tests because of snow days and days off because of basketball games.  However, I am extremely pleased with the progress that my students are already making. 

                The tests that follow each word sort were taken by students early last week.  These tests are helpful, but not as helpful as working with students as they are completing the word sorts.  I wish that I could see and work with all students as they work through the sorts because I learned so much more about how the students are doing with these word patterns.  I do think however, that students who are able to quickly complete their sorts are doing alright and are not students who I need to help as much with their sorts, so I am able to help many of the students who are struggling with their sorts still.  I am interested to see how many different directions I am pulled when some students get new sorts while other students keep their sorts because they are still not proficient at their sorts.  I am worried that more students than just a few will need support.  I am so excited to see how it goes.  I am nervous because I am behind on moving students along because training them how to work with the sorts and use them has been a longer process than I thought.  But, I will keep going. 

                On another note, I wanted to share that there are some rumors floating around my school that other teachers want to implement the Words Their Way program and I am excited to see how they make it work with their kids and the kind of results that they see.  Who knows, maybe next year we will all be doing the program if we see good results with the kids right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment