Saturday, April 20, 2013

Coming to the End of the Year!

Wow!  I know that I mentioned this in my last post, but oh my goodness the end of the school year is CRAZY!!!!  We are continuing learning between field trips, track meets, and other "stuff".  The Words Their Way process in continuing but any routine that we had in any way is completely gone (and not just for Words Their Way)! I think that the students are still enjoying the Words Their Way even though it has to feel as random to me as it does to them when I say "take out your words". 

I still think that the most powerful aspect to the Words Their Way program is how students start to recognize their patterns in other places.  Even though our schedule is basically non existent, they will come up to me and say "hey, look I found my word pattern in this book".  This is so powerful to me because before I never heard students talking about words in any way because they all had different words and the words were essentially random in pattern.

It's scary to think that my first year of teaching is almost over! But, I am so looking forward to the summer where I will be able to take some time to set up games to play with Words Their Way and other activities to help create this routine early.   While I feel like I am getting good data to compare to what we were doing before, I am excited to see what a whole year of the Words Their Way program can do to help students with their spelling and maybe other areas of literacy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment