Wednesday, January 30, 2013


Hi! My name is Neelly and I am completely new to the whole blogs, but am excited to give it a try.  I am running head first into this blog because I am currently working on my master degree through Western State Colorado University.  I graduated from high school a few years ago.  I immediately knew that I wanted to become a teacher.  I worked hard to get through my undergraduate in four years.  I had a few horrible experiences in my undergraduate the made me rethink becoming a teacher a few times.  However, the kids always brought me right back to it.

 Once I graduated from my undergraduate program, I decided that maybe I wasn’t ready to have my own classroom, yet I knew I still wanted to be working in the school and with kids.  This is how I found the master’s program at Western. I did an internship in special education in Gypsum, Colorado while working on adding my special education endorsement through the coursework.  Through my internship, I applied for, interviewed, and received the opportunity to work as a paraprofessional one on one with a student.  This was a challenging assignment, but one that I fully enjoyed.  The best part of this job was having the opportunity to go back and visit this particular student this year and seeing his successes continue.  From that experience, I knew that I immediately wanted to get a job where I could spend an entire year working with students.  I am now teaching 5th and 6th grade students in a small school in eastern Colorado.  I love these students although, the job can be challenging some days.

I am constantly looking for new ways to help my students.  I have a passion for finding something that helps each and every student.  I want them all to be as successful as possible.  Because of this, I was lead to my action research project.  I have chosen to look at the different aspects of spelling that could help or prevent students from achieving.  I noticed that some of my students are still struggling with spelling, often other areas of literacy too, even the most basic of words going into 5th and 6th grade.  This made me wonder how effective our spelling program was for these students as this is what they are accustomed to. This is where I will be focusing my attention for the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment